Discrimination advice



This advice is for people who have experienced any form of discrimination – and who wish to access help and seek redress.

The Peter Tatchell Foundation (PTF) is unable to take on individual cases – we are a very small organisation, with very limited staffing and resources. But we can direct people to the right organisations so that they can get the advice and the support that they need.

The Equality Act 2010 outlawed discrimination. It is illegal for private businesses or public services to discriminate.


Prepare a written statement

It is very important that you document the discrimination that occurred, to the best of your ability. The statement needs to be concise; set out in separate, neatly spaced paragraphs. It should set out the facts of what happened – names, dates, times, places – and who said and did what. Keep to the facts rather than including comments or opinions. State your objections to what happened ie the nature of the discrimination and your complaint. Finally, you should set out what you want to be done – what redress you are seeking and from whom. This statement can be given to any agency that you approach for help. It will assist them to assist you.


Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS)

The Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) gives free advice, information and guidance to individuals on equality, discrimination and human rights issues.

The EASS website is here:

Telephone: 0808 800 0082
Textphone: 0808 800 0084

Or you can contact the EASS by email here:

You can write to them at:
Equality Advisory Support Service,



If the discrimination you have suffered relates to your sexuality, contact Stonewall – a national LGBT charity. The Stonewall website is a good first point of call for general information and advice on what to do if you have been discriminated against. See:

You can also call Stonewall for informal advice on the Freephone number 08000 50 20 20, which operates Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 5.30pm.

Or you can email the Stonewall Information Service: [email protected]



If Stonewall are unable to assist you to your satisfaction, you could try contacting Liberty. Their general advice on the right to equal treatment can be found here:

If you need more tailored and specific advice you should call their advice line on these numbers – 0845 123 2307 or 020 3145 0461. If you are calling from a mobile phone the “020” number may be the cheaper number to use. The lines are open:

Monday 6.30 pm – 8.30 pm.

Wednesday  12.30 pm – 2.30 pm

Thursday  6.30 pm – 8.30 pm.

Friday 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm.

Other options

Another option is to seek the advice and support of your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or Neighbourhood Law Centre.


Contact your MP 

Finally, you should also contact your local MP  and ask them to take up your case. If you do not know the name of your local MP , you can find out and email them direct from this website: http://www.writetothem.com/

You can also phone your MP’s office at the House of Commons via the main switchboard: 0207 219 3000. Ask for the MP’s secretary or researcher.
Even better, visit your local MP at their weekly advice surgery (the location, dates and times can be obtained from your local town hall or library – or from the website of your local MP). Take a copy of your written statement.

This direct personal contact with your MP may get a better response.