Homophobic hate crime advice


This advice is for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people who have experienced homophobic hate crimes and wish to access help and seek redress.Hate crimes include severe abuse, threats, harassment or violence.The Peter Tatchell Foundation (PTF) is unable to take on individual cases. We are a very small organisation, with very limited staffing and resources. But we can help direct people to the right organisations so that they can get the advice and the support that they need.


Prepare a written statement

It is very important that you document the hate crime that occurred, to the best of your ability. The statement needs to be concise; set out in separate, neatly spaced paragraphs. It should set out the facts of what happened – names, dates, times, places and who said and did what. Keep to the facts rather than including comments or opinions. State your objections to what happened ie the nature of the hate crime and your complaint. Finally, you should set out what you want to be done – what redress you are seeking and from whom.


Contact the Community Safety Unit

When you have prepared your statement, you should make an appointment to see the police in the Community Safety Unit (Hate Crimes section) at your local police station. Do not take your statement to, or report the hate crime to, the front desk (unless it is an emergency). You should give the Community Safety Unit officers a copy of your statement and ask them to take the action you want.



For practical help and support, we advise you to contact Galop, which specialises in dealing with homophobic hate crime and harassment. They are London’s leading anti-LGBT hate crime charity but they can offer advice wherever you call from. Their website is here: http://www.galop.org.uk/

You can call their helpline on 020 7704 2040 (London) or 0800 999 5428 (National). Their email address is [email protected]

You can also report an incident online here: http://www.galop.org.uk/report/

They are located at:
Resource For London
356 Holloway Rd
N7 6PA



Stonewall is a large national LGBT charity, many staff and resources . Their website is a good first point of call for general information and advice:

You can call Stonewall for advice on 08000 50 20 20 or 020 7593 1850 which operates Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 5.30pm.

Or you can email the Stonewall via their website: http://www.stonewall.org.uk/ 


Other options

Another option is to seek the advice and support of your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or Neighbourhood Law Centre.


Contact your MP 

Finally, you can also contact your local MP , to ask them take up your case. You can find out your local MP  and email them direct from this website:

You can also phone your MP’s office at the House of Commons via the main switchboard: 0207 219 3000. Ask for the MP’s secretary or researcher.
Even better, visit your local MP at their weekly advice surgery. The location, dates and times can be obtained from your local town hall or library or from the website of your local MP. Personal contact tends to get better results. Take your prepared statement, so your MP will have all the facts of your case at his / her fingertips.