Homelessness advice

Schools Out


This advice is for people seeking help with homelessness.

The Peter Tatchell Foundation (PTF) is unable to take on individual cases. We are a very small organisation, with very limited staffing and resources. But we can help direct you to the right organisations to get the advice and support you need.


Local council & social services

In the first instance, you should contact your local council’s social services duty team and its Homeless Person’s Unit. They exist to provide help, support and emergency accommodation for homeless people. They can also assist you in securing new permanent housing. To find out how to contact them, phone or visit your local library or town hall.

There are a number of national charities working with homeless people and on homeless issues.



The leading national charity for housing and homelessness is Shelter. Its website for England is here: http://england.shelter.org.uk/

You can get free independent advice and information on housing to help you understand your rights and options here: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice

You can also contact Shelter’s free housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444 (calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks).

The postal address is:
88 Old Street

If you are in Scotland, Shelter’s website for Scotland is here: http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/

Their postal address is:
Shelter Scotland
6 South Charlotte Street

Both websites contain a directory which lists local advice services.



Another leading charity working on homelessness is Centrepoint, which caters for homeless young people aged 16 to 25 year olds. It provides help with housing, learning, health and life skills.

The Centrepoint website is here: http://www.centrepoint.org.uk/

Centrepoint works directly with young people in Greater London and the north east of England. A comprehensive list of all their regions of operation and the services they provide can be found here: https://centrepoint.org.uk/what-we-do/

You can call the Centrepoint head office on  0800 587 5158 or visit them here:

Central House
25 Camperdown Street
E1 8DZ

You can also ask them questions through their online email form here: https://centrepoint.org.uk/youth-homelessness/get-help-now/contact-centrepoint/ or you can chat with them here: https://centrepoint.org.uk/youth-homelessness/get-help-now/



Crisis is another national charity for single homeless people. Their website is: http://www.crisis.org.uk/index.php . They are dedicated to ending homelessness by delivering life-changing services and campaigning for change.
You can contact Crisis on 0300 636 1967 or e-mail them : [email protected]

You can visit them at:
66 Commercial Street
E1 6LT


Stonewall Housing

Stonewall Housing is the specialist lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) housing advice and support provider in England.

They provide housing support for LGBT people in their own homes, supported housing for young LGBT people, as well as free, confidential housing advice for LGBT people of all ages. They also research and lobby LGBT housing rights, so that all LGBT people can feel safe and secure in their homes. Their website is here:

They can be contacted by phone: their advice line is 020 7359 5767 and their office number is 020 7359 6242 or email: [email protected]

Their address is:

Stonewall Housing
2A Leroy House
436 Essex Road
N1 3QP


Albert Kennedy Trust

The Albert Kennedy Trust (akt)supports young LGBT 16-25 year olds who are made homeless or living in a hostile environment. They aim to meet the individual needs of each young person and get their lives back on track. They are based in London and Manchester. Their website is here:

They can be contacted by phone or via email.

London number is 020 7831 6562.
The London address is:

akt  – London
48 The Chocolate Studios
7 Shepherdess Place
N1 7LJ

Manchester number is 0161 228 3308.

akt – Manchester
5 Oak Street
Northern Quarter
M4 5JD

Newcastle number is 0191 281 0099.

akt – Newcastle
1 Osborne Road
Newcastle upon Tyne

Their offices are staffed 10am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday.



If you are in crisis, or need urgent help, you should contact the Samaritans. They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 116 123 and their website is here: www.samaritans.org. You can also contact them by email: jo@samaritans


Contact your MP 

Finally, you should also contact your local MP  who should be able to take up your case. To find out your local MP and email them direct, go to this website:

You can also phone your MP’s office at the House of Commons via the main switchboard: 0207 219 3000. Ask for the MP’s secretary or researcher.

Even better, visit your local MP at their weekly advice surgery. The location, dates and times can be obtained from your local town hall or library or from the website of your local MP. Personal contact tends to get better results.